The 7 Best Strategies For Overcoming Decision Fatigue Leader
- The human capacity to make decisions is FINITE.
- As you approach capacity, your ability to make good decisions falters.
- Understanding what causes decision fatigue helps you manage your decision load
- There are strategies that can help you overcome decision fatigue
- 1 Acknowledge it (It is a real thing, lots of research)
- 2 Plan your day (as much as possible, mornings are for decisions and afternoons are for gathering information to make decisions)
- 3 Have an index card on the corner of your desk (Go to Episode 7 of The Private School Leader Podcast, go to the 6:15 mark and listen for 10 minutes)
- 4 Proactively reduce the number of decisions that you make (Create a routine that limits the time that you spend on making decision about what to wear to school or what to eat for dinner)
- 5 Clarity is your friend (A clear mission statement, clear policies and clear goals can guide you to make better decisions)
- 6 Give yourself fuel (Before a meeting, eat a snack and talk a quick walk around the school)
- 7 Schools are not emergency rooms (Everything feels urgent, but most things are actually important and can wait until the next morning)
Call to Action
- I want you to start a habit outside of school where you are reducing the number of decisions that you make in the morning. Planning outfits. Planning lunches. Packing it the night before.
- One thing that you can do on the weekend or in the evening, to reduce your number of morning decisions.
If you implement any of these strategies at your school, I would love to hear from you! Send me a quick note at [email protected] and tell me about it. I can answer your questions and I’m also good at giving pep talks when you get stuck!
CLICK HERE for a bunch of free resources, including Plug & Play PD's (video webinars with guided notes) for you to use with your teachers, Top Lists of Leadership Books, Productivity Books, TED Talks and much more!
Please follow, rate and review this podcast. The rating helps this podcast to be heard by more leaders and your review gives me valuable feedback so that I can better serve you in future episodes. If you got value from this episode, please text the link to an aspiring leader at your school. Thanks!
Music by Twisterium from Pixabay