Episode 50 Show Notes
Define Portrait of a graduate
- Portrait of a graduate
- Profile of a graduate
- Ideal graduate outcomes
A Portrait of a Graduate represents a school district's vision for the 21st century skills, character traits, and/or social-emotional competencies that students need to succeed in college, career, and life.
Help you get clear on the portrait of a graduate at your school
- Review school’s mission and vision
- Gather input from all stakeholders: students, leaders, parents, grads
- Identify essential skills and character traits (These might include critical thinking, communication)
- Include social emotional readiness: emotional intelligence, leadership, and ethical behavior.)
- Overprepare them for what’s next
Help you reverse engineer that destination
- Be intentional
- Communicate Expectations: Share the graduate outcomes portrait with all stakeholders to foster a shared understanding and commitment to achieving these goals.
- Monitor and Evaluate Progress: Regularly assess students' progress toward these outcomes through assessments, surveys, and observations. Adjust your curriculum and programs as needed.
- Support It: Provide resources, extracurricular activities, and support services that help students develop the skills and values outlined in the portrait.
- Review and Adapt: Periodically review and update the graduate outcomes portrait to ensure it remains relevant to evolving educational needs and societal demands.
Call to Action
- In the next week spend 30 minutes writing down the essential skills and characteristics of your ideal graduate
CLICK HERE for Episode 4: How To Turn "Pedestal Kids" Into "Gritty Kids" By Implementing Growth Mindset
CLICK HERE for Episode 28: How To Improve School-wide Classroom Management
I want to say thank you for listening to the podcast by giving you a FREE GIFT. It is called The 7 Steps To Having Successful Meetings With Upset Parents. This guide is an 11 page pdf that gives you a step by step plan to have better meetings with the parents at your school. Every good coach has a game plan. Every good teacher has a lesson plan. Too many private school leaders don’t have a plan when they sit down to meet with an upset parent. Well, now you have a PLAN! CLICK HERE to get the guide!!
I’ve created a free resource for you called “The 6 Things That Every Private School Teacher Wants From Their Leader”. This guide is a 6 page pdf that will be a game changer for you. I guarantee you that if you do these 6 things, the teachers at your school will be happy to follow you. CLICK HERE to get the guide!
I want to give you a gift to say “thank you” for listening to the podcast. I have created a FREE guide for you called “5 Strategies To Help You Work With Difficult Parents”. We know that working with parents is part of the job and most of our parents are great, but some of them can be very demanding and emotional and difficult. This guide will give you the tools that you need to build better relationships and have better meetings with the difficult parents at your school. CLICK HERE to grab the guide. Thank you again for listening every week!
I’ve created another FREE RESOURCE for you called “The Top 6 Ways To Protect Your School From a Lawsuit”. This is a 10 page pdf that will help you to keep your staff and students safe and help keep your school out of court. Litigation is expensive, time consuming and extremely stressful. This common sense guide will help you to be more intentional and proactive when it comes to protecting your school. You can CLICK HERE to get “The Top 6 Ways To Protect Your School From a Lawsuit”. Thanks!
If you implement any of these strategies at your school, I would love to hear from you! Send me a quick note at [email protected] and tell me about it. I can answer your questions and I’m also good at giving pep talks when you get stuck!
If you have gotten value from listening to the podcast, I would love to work with you 1-on-1. I would love to take my experience and help you to feel less overwhelmed and frustrated or help you have success if you are a brand new leader. I also work with private school leaders who are aspiring Heads of School and want to accelerate their leadership growth or experienced leaders that are moving on to a new school and they want to get off to a great start. If I’m describing you, then CLICK HERE to learn more about working with me 1-on-1.
CLICK HERE for a bunch of free resources, including Plug & Play PD's (video webinars with guided notes) for you to use with your teachers, Top Lists of Leadership Books, Productivity Books, TED Talks and much more!
Please follow, rate and review this podcast. The rating helps this podcast to be heard by more leaders and your review gives me valuable feedback so that I can better serve you in future episodes. If you got value from this episode, please text the link to an aspiring leader at your school. Thanks!
Music by Twisterium from Pixabay