Episode 61 Show Notes
CLICK HERE for Procrastinate on Purpose: Permissions To Multiply Your Time by Rory Vaden
(This is an affiliate link. If you purchase through this link, at no additional cost to you, I receive a commission of 4% of the price of the book to help defray the costs of the podcast and the website. You don’t have to use this link if you prefer to purchase the book directly from Amazon or another vendor.)
CLICK HERE to print a picture of "The Focus Funnel"
Key quote: “There is no such thing as time management. There is only self-management.” -Rory Vaden
- delaying “the day’s most important activities by consciously or unconsciously allowing our attention to shift to less important tasks.”
- This is a common problem for high achievers who push for excellence and are asked to do more as a result (p. 6).
Managing and Prioritizing Your Time
- Prioritizing your time is an important skill but it has limits, as it “simply borrows from one area of your life to focus on another,” providing no strategy for what to do with remaining tasks (p. 39).
3-Dimensional Thinking About Time
While most people are still making decisions based only on the two-dimensional model of factoring in Importance and Urgency, Multipliers make a third calculation that is based on Significance.”
2 Dimensional Thinking
7 Habits of Highly Effective People
Eisenhower Matrix Urgency/Importance
3-Dimensional Thinking About Time
Urgency: How soon does this matter?
Importance: How much does this matter?
Significance: How long is this going to matter?
THE FOCUS FUNNEL
- Tasks enter the top of the FOCUS FUNNEL.
- Eliminate: Tasks that are unnecessary and can be removed from your to-do list.
- Automate: Tasks that can be delegated or automated to save time.
- Delegate: Tasks that can be assigned to others.
- Procrastinate on Purpose: Deliberately postponing tasks that aren't immediate priorities but may become important in the future.
- Concentrate: Concentration is the permission to devote your full attention and energy to your most critical tasks.
Call to Action
- At the top of these show notes, you can print a picture of the Focus Funnel.
- Print it.
- Hang it by your desk.
- Ask yourself these questions about your next task:
- Eliminate?, Automate?, Delegate?Procrastinate?, Concentrate!
I want to say thank you for listening to the podcast by giving you a FREE GIFT. It is called The 7 Steps To Having Successful Meetings With Upset Parents. This guide is an 11 page pdf that gives you a step by step plan to have better meetings with the parents at your school. Every good coach has a game plan. Every good teacher has a lesson plan. Too many private school leaders don’t have a plan when they sit down to meet with an upset parent. Well, now you have a PLAN! CLICK HERE to get the guide!!
I’ve created a free resource for you called “The 6 Things That Every Private School Teacher Wants From Their Leader”. This guide is a 6 page pdf that will be a game changer for you. I guarantee you that if you do these 6 things, the teachers at your school will be happy to follow you. CLICK HERE to get the guide!
I want to give you a gift to say “thank you” for listening to the podcast. I have created a FREE guide for you called “5 Strategies To Help You Work With Difficult Parents”. We know that working with parents is part of the job and most of our parents are great, but some of them can be very demanding and emotional and difficult. This guide will give you the tools that you need to build better relationships and have better meetings with the difficult parents at your school. CLICK HERE to grab the guide. Thank you again for listening every week!
I’ve created another FREE RESOURCE for you called “The Top 6 Ways To Protect Your School From a Lawsuit”. This is a 10 page pdf that will help you to keep your staff and students safe and help keep your school out of court. Litigation is expensive, time consuming and extremely stressful. This common sense guide will help you to be more intentional and proactive when it comes to protecting your school. You can CLICK HERE to get “The Top 6 Ways To Protect Your School From a Lawsuit”. Thanks!
If you implement any of these strategies at your school, I would love to hear from you! Send me a quick note at [email protected] and tell me about it. I can answer your questions and I’m also good at giving pep talks when you get stuck!
If you have gotten value from listening to the podcast, I would love to work with you 1-on-1. I would love to take my experience and help you to feel less overwhelmed and frustrated or help you have success if you are a brand new leader. I also work with private school leaders who are aspiring Heads of School and want to accelerate their leadership growth or experienced leaders that are moving on to a new school and they want to get off to a great start. If I’m describing you, then CLICK HERE to learn more about working with me 1-on-1.
CLICK HERE for a bunch of free resources, including Plug & Play PD's (video webinars with guided notes) for you to use with your teachers, Top Lists of Leadership Books, Productivity Books, TED Talks and much more!
Please follow, rate and review this podcast. The rating helps this podcast to be heard by more leaders and your review gives me valuable feedback so that I can better serve you in future episodes. If you got value from this episode, please text the link to an aspiring leader at your school. Thanks!
Music by Twisterium from Pixabay