Episode 48 Show Notes
What is “hustle culture”?
Hustle culture describes a common, modern workplace environment that emphasizes hard work and long hours as the key to success. It's become increasingly popular recently, with many companies encouraging their employees to put in extra effort and work hours for better results. Talkspace blog post
Hustle culture, also known as burnout culture, centers around the idea that working long hours and sacrificing self-care are required in order to succeed. The promise is that if you give work all of your attention, you can achieve anything and everything. (Better up blog post)
Why is hustle culture so toxic?
Some people do achieve a form of happiness from their efforts. But more often, the American dream plus hustle culture creates a toxic cycle. It tells us that even as we work harder and harder, we can always have more, do more, and be more. This means that the goalposts will keep moving no matter how much we achieve. (better Up blog)
How does hustle culture negatively impact your mental health?
- When you take a day off
- How many days of PTO go unused?
- Feel guilty or LAZY when you are doing nothing? HAMMOCK
- Recent Gallup poll: 44% of employees experienced anxiety, anger, and/or sadness a lot during the previous day, pressure to perform
- “God on a good day”
- stigma attached to mental health for leaders)
- hustle culture doesn’t allow time for negative emotions
- research shows that accepting negative emotions is a key component of good mental health
- we have to be the most positive person at our school
- Hustle culture comes full circle with apathy.
- This is because when people are encouraged to suppress their feelings, maintain long work hours, and never take time off, burnout will lead them to stop caring.
- Apathy, disengagement, “quite quitting”, burnout THAT’S WHERE THE HUSTLE CULTURE LEADS
You Can Overcome The “Hustle Culture” If You Stop Doing These 6 Things
- 1 Stop believing the lie
- 2 Stop Wearing Busyness As A badge of honor
- 3 Stop letting the school flow like water
- 4 Stop treating rest like laziness
- 5 Stop putting yourself last
- 6 Stop doing everything yourself
1) Stop believing the lie
- Instagram, TikTok, and Facebook have made it easy for influencers and celebrities to share images of themselves working late into the night, glorifying and perpetuating a dangerous mindset among younger generations who look up to them for inspiration.
- Hustle culture is a LIE.
- You are NEVER going to get it all done or have it all together
- Work is NOT more important than your physical and mental health
2) Stop Wearing Busyness As A badge of honor
- Lunch at 4PM
- Up until midnight
- Pride, arrogance
- Playing with fire
- Prioritize your own self care
3) Stop letting the school flow like water
- Water goes wherever it wants
- 25,000 gallons of water in your backyard
- Boundaries; where? (bed, dinner table), when? (during dinner), how long?
4) Stop treating rest like laziness
- Objectively, you know that rest is good for you
- What do we tell ourselves?
- BUSY< BUSY< BUSY
5) Stop putting yourself last
- Oxygen mask
- No one is coming to save you
- You have to decide to move yourself up on this list
6) Stop doing everything yourself
- Ask for help
- Are you the reason that you don’t delegate more effectively?
- Talk to someone
Call To Action:
CLICK HERE to listen to Episode 8: How To Overcome Burnout With Boundaries
CLICK HERE to listen to Episode 7: The Top 4 Productivity Hacks For Busy Private School Leaders
CLICK HERE for Episode 24: The 8 Ways To Avoid Toxic Positivity By Displaying Hopeful Optimism
Other Resources With This Episode:
CLICK HERE for the BetterUp Blog Post
CLICK HERE for Talkspace Blog Post
I want to say thank you for listening to the podcast by giving you a FREE GIFT. It is called The 7 Steps To Having Successful Meetings With Upset Parents. This guide is an 11 page pdf that gives you a step by step plan to have better meetings with the parents at your school. Every good coach has a game plan. Every good teacher has a lesson plan. Too many private school leaders don’t have a plan when they sit down to meet with an upset parent. Well, now you have a PLAN! CLICK HERE to get the guide!!
I’ve created a free resource for you called “The 6 Things That Every Private School Teacher Wants From Their Leader”. This guide is a 6 page pdf that will be a game changer for you. I guarantee you that if you do these 6 things, the teachers at your school will be happy to follow you. CLICK HERE to get the guide!
I want to give you a gift to say “thank you” for listening to the podcast. I have created a FREE guide for you called “5 Strategies To Help You Work With Difficult Parents”. We know that working with parents is part of the job and most of our parents are great, but some of them can be very demanding and emotional and difficult. This guide will give you the tools that you need to build better relationships and have better meetings with the difficult parents at your school. CLICK HERE to grab the guide. Thank you again for listening every week!
I’ve created another FREE RESOURCE for you called “The Top 6 Ways To Protect Your School From a Lawsuit”. This is a 10 page pdf that will help you to keep your staff and students safe and help keep your school out of court. Litigation is expensive, time consuming and extremely stressful. This common sense guide will help you to be more intentional and proactive when it comes to protecting your school. You can CLICK HERE to get “The Top 6 Ways To Protect Your School From a Lawsuit”. Thanks!
If you implement any of these strategies at your school, I would love to hear from you! Send me a quick note at [email protected] and tell me about it. I can answer your questions and I’m also good at giving pep talks when you get stuck!
If you have gotten value from listening to the podcast, I would love to work with you 1-on-1. I would love to take my experience and help you to feel less overwhelmed and frustrated or help you have success if you are a brand new leader. I also work with private school leaders who are aspiring Heads of School and want to accelerate their leadership growth or experienced leaders that are moving on to a new school and they want to get off to a great start. If I’m describing you, then CLICK HERE to learn more about working with me 1-on-1.
CLICK HERE for a bunch of free resources, including Plug & Play PD's (video webinars with guided notes) for you to use with your teachers, Top Lists of Leadership Books, Productivity Books, TED Talks and much more!
Please follow, rate and review this podcast. The rating helps this podcast to be heard by more leaders and your review gives me valuable feedback so that I can better serve you in future episodes. If you got value from this episode, please text the link to an aspiring leader at your school. Thanks!
Music by Twisterium from Pixabay